According to Wikipedia, "the 'I.G.Y.' of the title refers to the 'International Geophysical Year', an event that ran from July 1957 to December 1958.
The I.G.Y. was an international scientific project promoting collaboration among the world's scientists. Fagen's lyrics reference futuristic concepts such as solar-powered cities, a transatlantic tunnel, permanent space stations, and spandex jackets."
Steely Dan / Mr. Fagen always had top notch / all star players backing him up....check out the players and the track...
- Backing Vocals – Frank Floyd , Gordon Grody , Valerie Simpson , Zack Sanders
- Bass – Anthony Jackson
- Drums – James Gadson , Jeff Porcaro
- Guitar – Hugh McCracken
- Percussion – Roger Nichols , Starz Vanderlocket
- Percussion [Sequencing, Special Effect & Wendel I I] – Roger Nichols
- Piano – Greg Phillinganes
- Producer – Gary Katz
- Saxophone – Dave Tofani , Michael Brecker , Ronnie Cuber
- Synthesizer – Rob Mounsey
- Trombone – Dave Bargeron
- Trumpet – Randy Brecker
Random Thoughts From A Brotha: Donald Fagen –I.G.Y. (What a Beautiful World)